House Manager & Butler
A very exciting opportunity has come in for a highly experienced House Manager and Butler, to lead a fully staffed household. The role will see you helping to run all aspects of the principals and their family’s home and the service within it, on their country estate in Wiltshire. The estate is substantial and has numerous buildings and properties in addition to the main residence, which will also need to be looked after. You will also need to run all hospitality for the private and commercial shoots, running to around 40 a year. The residence is primarily used at weekends and school holidays, so the assumption is weekend working, but the family do travel 2+ months a year and spend the week in London. The family consist of the 2 principals and 3 children.
Of particular interest are ex-service men or women, but this is definitely not a necessity. You should have an excellent work ethic, be disciplined and understand formal environments and the chain of command, you should be as happy rolling up your sleeves and mucking in, as you are leading from the front and managing a team. You must work incredibly well under pressure, be un-flappable and have an exceptional eye for detail; the principal has a precise eye and is highly focused on aesthetics, so curating the environment and ensuring that everything is just so, is key. You must possess exceptional communication skills and be exceptionally well organised and be able to develop and maintain excellent professional relationships with stakeholders at all levels, from the principals to contractors, Estate staff to temp cleaners and everyone in between. You should be flexible in your approach and be able to change direction at a moment’s notice. You should be happy to remain formal, in an informal family environment and know the boundaries and how and when to extricate yourself from situations, or private family times, ‘available but invisible; then also laying amazing tables and performing fantastic formal Butler service if required. As the shoot is both private and commercial, you must be very happy with new guests arriving bi-weekly and be able to adapt and change to their expectations and requirements with ease. You should be fit and healthy and able to spend long periods on your feet, in formal wear.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Full household management, including garden (there are 2 Gardeners to manage)
- Updating of household manuals and SOPs
- Staff management, recruitment and retention
- Training of staff, both temp and long term
- Staff rotas and hiring of temp staff for commercial shoots and larger family events
- Care of the 2 family dogs, Cocker Spaniels
- In conjunction with the Head Housekeeper, ensuring standards are always maintained
- Lead the service of all meals, if required, from family breakfasts to formal dinners, shoot lunches, BBQs and afternoon teas. You should have a good knowledge of cigars and their storage, fine wines and food pairing and be willing to learn more
- Care of glass, porcelain and flatware
- Valeting for the principal, packing and un-packing
- Inventories and purchasing
- Meeting and greeting guests
- Record keeping on guest and guest visits, requirements, special diets, etc
- Liaise with visiting guest PAs as to visits, arrivals and requirements
- Liaise with the Estate Manager and Chief of Staff on all aspects of shoots, both private and commercial
- Liaise with the EM on important aspects of house maintenance, preventative maintenance and fault reporting
- Household accounting
- Running errands, driving
There is a generous package on offer for the right candidate, this will be discussed at interview. Candidates will be presented at their salary expectation. Accommodation is not currently on offer for this role, so the right person should be able to relocate and live close to the estate, this will likely be reflected in the salary.
As soon as they find the right person.